Friday 8 September 2017

The Spirit of Autumn

Hello and Welcome to Magpieheaven. I do hope you've had a wonderful summer and that you have been able to enjoy some autumn colour and fruitfulness.


 These are such troubled times with natural disasters and political turmoil world-wide and my heart goes out to all those affected by tragedy at this time. It can be difficult to stay hopeful, yet the seasons roll round and this month offers up its bounty of apples, pears and other good things. Autumn is such a beautiful season, rich in the most wonderful colours and with everything bathed in such a lovely light. Like the spring it is a time of promise and new beginnings in many ways.


 I just wanted to blog today about a miniature diptych I just created and added to my Etsy shop, Magpiehaven, to celebrate the magic of Autumn.



In the Land of Autumn sprites peep out from behind the acorns and secretly feast on wild blackberries. Quick as the lightning of an autumn storm, they can shape-shift into a cheeky robin, or a spooky raven! As mischievous as any child trick-or-treating, autumn sprites like to dress up as clowns and witches and tap against your window pane.


They mean no harm, though. They just want you to look at the beauty and the kindness all around you and let your heart be light for a moment.


As you might have noticed, my diptych is resting on a collection of John Keats' poetry. His beautiful ode to Autumn can be found here https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44484/to-autumn. I hope that the Autumn Season will bring you some joy and some fun and that you will be able to dance among the shadows.


I think the Autumn Sprites would be in agreement with Shelley in his ode To the West Wind that 'If winter comes can spring be far behind?' I'm hoping to add more diptychs and some Christmas ornaments to the shop over the coming weeks and I'd be delighted if you have the time to stop by. Thank You for stopping by my blog today. Have a creative and peaceful Autumn.

8 comments:

  1. such a lovely post. your sprites are wonderful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! wishing you a happy Autumn! I haven't created anything for so long I can barely remember to start; but have the coming week off work so hoping to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely beautiful, Julie Ann! I love the bird!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this over on FB Julie Ann it's absolutely beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Julie Ann! These are wonderful! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful piece Julie Ann! I so LOVE your characters,as if I have never told you that! heehee
    These sprites are magical and sweet and so happy that they have come to bring in the new season!
    Wishing you a bountiful autumn filled with love and all good things my friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful diptych full of stories and atmosphere. In this season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, I'm very sure all manner of sprites come out to play and gather supplies to see them through the winter. Gorgeous!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, your creation is amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.